1. Contact and provide the West
Virginia Contractor Licensing Board/Division of Labor with your scope of work
in order to verify the classification(s) and the exam(s) required for obtaining
your contractor license. Your request can be sent to Licensing@wv.gov.
2. Schedule to take exam(s) with ProV
by contacting them at (866)
720-7768 or (304) 414-0190, Extension
3. The person completing the exam(s) must be an officer, member, owner, or
a full-time employee. Payroll records are required as proof for a full-time
3. West Virginia requires every entity
to obtain a Business Registration Tax Number. Contact the West
Virginia State Tax Department at (304)
558-3333 or (800) 982-8297.
4. Most businesses must register with West Virginia Secretary of State. Contact a Business Specialist at (866) 767-8683 or (304) 558-8000 to determine if your entity is required to register with their office. You may also visit the WV One Stop Business Center at 1615 Washington Street East, Charleston, WV 25311, or one of their Business Hubs in Clarksburg, WV, or Martinsburg, WV. You can register the business online at www.business4wv.com.
Compensation – West Virginia Insurance Commissioner’s Office at: (304) 558-6279 Extension 1202.
Compensation - Workforce West Virginia at: (304)
If it is determined your entity is exempt
and West Virginia coverage is not required, you must submit proof of coverage from your state.
6. A wage bond status affidavit is
required to be submitted with your application. If your entity is performing
commercial construction work with employees, contact the Division of Labor – Wage
& Hour Section at (304) 558-7890 or firstname.lastname@example.org and verify your wage bond status.
7. A contractor license application/affidavit is available on our
website at labor.wv.gov or by calling the Licensing
Section at (304) 558-7890. An owner, corporate officer or managing
member is required to sign page three (3) of the application/affidavit and wage
bond affidavit. The contractor license fee may be paid by check, money order,
or credit card in the Charleston Office.
You must have steps 1 through 6 completed prior to submitting your
contractor license application/affidavit to our office for processing.
to WV Division of Labor from ProV’s
After leaving the
parking lot turn left onto Association Drive; turn right on Deitrick Boulevard
at stop sign; turn right onto Greenbrier Street/114 South at light. At the 5th
stoplight turn left into the State Capitol Complex parking lot. You must go
through security to access Building 3 (Green Roof). The Division of Labor is located on the 2nd floor, Room 200.
(304) 558-7890 ext.10475