A Step By Step Guide For Obtaining A Contractor License

***You must have steps 1 through 6 completed prior to submitting your contractor license application/affidavit to the board for processing***

1. Contact and provide the West Virginia Contractor Licensing Board with your scope of work in order to verify the classification(s) and the exam(s) required for obtaining your contractor license. Your request can be sent to CLBoard@wv.gov.    
2. Schedule to take exam(s) with PSI Services, LLC by contacting them at (855) 539-0708 or via an email to examschedule@psionline.com. The person completing the exam(s) must be an officer, member, owner, or a full-time employee. Payroll records are required as proof for a full-time employee.
3. West Virginia requires every entity to obtain a Business Registration Tax Number. Contact the West Virginia State Tax Department at (304) 558-3333 or (800) 982-8297.
4. Most businesses must register with West Virginia Secretary of State. Contact a Business Specialist at (866) 767-8683 or (304) 558-8000 to determine if your entity is required to register with their office. You may also visit the WV One Stop Business Center at 13 Kanawha Boulevard, West - Suite 201, Charleston, WV 25302, or one of their Business Hubs in Clarksburg, WV, or Martinsburg, WV. You can register the business online at www.business4wv.com.
5. Your entity is required to provide proof of Workers' Compensation and Unemployment Compensation for all employees working in West Virginia.
Workers’ Compensation – West Virginia Insurance Commissioner’s Office at: (304) 414-0539.
Unemployment Compensation - Workforce West Virginia at: (304) 558-2451
General Liability Insurance.
If it is determined your entity is exempt and West Virginia coverage is not required, you must submit proof of coverage from your state. 
6. A wage bond status affidavit is required to be submitted with your application. If your entity is performing commercial construction work with employees, contact the Division of Labor – Wage & Hour Section at (304) 558-7890 or WageandHour@wv.gov and verify your wage bond status.
7. A contractor license application/affidavit is available ​CLICK HERE or by calling the Contractor Licensing Board​ at (304) 356-3928. An owner, corporate officer or managing member is required to sign page three (3) of the application/affidavit and wage bond affidavit. The contractor license fee may be paid by check, money order, or credit card in the Charleston Office.

***You must have steps 1 through 6 completed prior to submitting your contractor license application/affidavit to the board for processing***

Office of the Insurance Commissioner Employer Coverage Unit (Workers Compensation): (304) 558-6279 Extension 1202

Secretary of State (If applicable): (304) 558-8000

State Tax Department: (304) 558-3333

Wage Bonding (If applicable): (304) 558-7890

Workforce West Virginia Unemployment Compensation Division: (304) 558-2451​​​​​

1900 Kanawha Boulevard East | State Capitol Complex - Building 3, Room 200 | Charleston, WV 25305
Ph: (304) 558-7890